Reference : USA00077
Automation and Systems Control Engineer
- Technical Production
- United States , Pennsylvania , LATROBE
- Posting date : 01/03/2022
- Technical Production
- United States LATROBE
- Permanent / Regular
- Posting date : 01/03/2022
The Automation and Control Systems Engineer will be expected to design, program, simulate and test control all automation systems for production and support equipment. The engineer will be responsible for offering automation design input and assisting in digitization efforts within the facility, either through infrastructure, programming, or design. The incumbent will offer troubleshooting assistance on all electrical and/or controls equipment. This critical position is expected to drive a cultural change within the plant with regard to automation and will assist in setting standards for the replacement of control equipment, capital investment analysis, return on investment, and learn additional project management skills.
The position focuses heavily on the Manufacturing/Industry 4.0 initiatives which are designed to improve collection of and access to industrial data.
The main functions of the role include:
- Equipment Control Systems Reliability (50%)
- Provide daily assistance on any PLC, VFD, or controls troubleshooting and rectification.
- Provide input and support on all controls and automation endeavors within the Latrobe Plant.
- Program, optimize, increase efficiency, and correct various PLC logic from OEM equipment and/or novel systems to be created in-house.
- Maintain all current automation, digitization, and PLC/controls systems while providing recommendations and expertise for future transitions to latest versions and improvements.
- Work hand-in-hand with maintenance and production personnel to improve reliability by upgrading obsolete equipment controls with expressed emphasis on process controls and machine capability.
- Assist in review of engineering specifications and drawings, proposing design modifications to improve reliability.
- Provide technical support to Maintenance on repairs of electrical and automation equipment in emergency situations.
- Create Technical Standards and train operators on standards.
- Maintain the Industrial System Security as outlined by the SG Central IT team.
- WCM – Manufacturing/Industry 4.0 (40%)
- Work with Senior ACE for all 4.0 projects in the direction of including, but not limited to Smart Machines, digitization, automation, and other connected systems.
- Support the PCR goals towards I4.0 as defined by the PCR Future Factory team.
- Develop knowledge of Manufacturing/Industry 4.0 strategies and support site efforts. Provide other PCR and SG site support where requested and needed.
- Work with IPT’s and IST’s to identify opportunities for automation that provide the transformation to operational excellence needed to ensure the business unit is successful in the future.
- Assess current plant processes for ergonomic improvements and increase operational efficiencies that can embed automation.
- Environmental, Health & Safety (10%)
- Behavioral role model for all EHS standards, plant rules, and corporate Values and Attitudes.
- Drive digitization and ergonomic efforts to assist in improving plant safety and performance tracking.
- Position Success Measures (KPIs)
- Industrial 4.0 implementation with digitization, automation, and ergonomic improvements
- OEE, improved productivity, increased efficiency, and other key variables to show continuous improvement
- SMAT / EMAT along with decreased TF1/TF2/TF3/TF4 rates
- New automation and controls installations year-to-year to improve efficiency and safety
- Improvements with ergonomic and productivity gains before/after comparisons
- WCM savings
- Bachelor's degree in a Technical Engineering discipline or minimum of 3-7 years’ experience in designing control systems in an industrial environment. Engineering degree in electrical engineering or automation & controls engineering preferred.
- Formal training on ControlLogix PLC’s, Allen Bradley Drive Systems, Siemens PLC’s, varied furnace control systems, machine installation, robotic automation and application, SCADAs, and IGNITION preferred.
- Manage, read, write, and alter a variety of logic/code for all kinds of PLC’s, robotics, and systems for safe operation and new equipment qualification
- Proven project completion history with successful embedment required. Cost savings and ergonomic improvements desired.
- Experience with machine and systems operation and integration, preferred
- Knowledge of electrical and control systems
- World Class Manufacturing (WCM) and continuous improvement experience
- Ability to draft, design, and build prints for various applications
- Computer proficiency, including a strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Independently manage a workload consisting of long-term projects and unplanned day-to-day priorities
- Must be a hands-on person and values time invested on shop floor working in and on the process
- Demonstrable personal attributes to effectively communicate and influence all levels of employees and leadership
- Ability of using various scientific rules and methods to solve problems coupled with the ability to detect and solve problems effectively
- Must execute root cause analysis to appropriately diagnose equipment or process issues to rectify complications rapidly
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain Industrial Ceramics is a worldwide manufacturer of high temperature specialised refractory materials. Our products are manufactured for the Ceramics, Metallurgy, Foundry, Chemical, Petrochemical, Power Generation, Waste Processing and Glass Making Industries. We specialise in products ranging from refractory bricks, tiles and blocks to mortar, cements, ramming and gunnable monolithics and trowelling mixes to low mass kiln furniture systems.
At Saint-Gobain we design, manufacture and distribute materials which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. Join our innovative, passionate and entrepreneurial community to improve the world of tomorrow with us.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.