Reference : 587661
Sr. Product Design & Application Engineer
- Technical Production
- United States , Garden Grove , GARDEN GROVE
- Posting date : 09/09/2021
- Technical Production
- United States GARDEN GROVE
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 09/09/2021
This position is responsible for developing new product (Valve, Manifold, Pumps, Fittings, etc.) through NPI (New Product Introduction) process. Also focus on further enhancing existing product/product extension to sustain value proposition for High Purity Systems business that serve primarily into semiconductor industry.
Lead Testing and Evidence effort to ensure data has been developed and/or evolve for our products partnering with Marketing. Assist AE engineers to establish Technical documents such as Product Spec & Technical Data Sheet(TDS), etc.
Provides excellent global customer support to internal sales personnel and external end users in regards to facilitate any field issues and/or technical queries. Work diligently with customers to solve their design and application issues and support cross functional teams in design engineering related issues for both pre and post-production of our products.
Work closely with R&D (global activities), Marketing to ensure that the latest technology evolutions (in terms of products and material) are integrated in design engineering
The ideal candidate will be a strong liaison between the Application Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Marketing and the Sales team, and will become proficient in understanding customer unmet needs and designing solutions where current product designs do not meet customer and application requirements
The candidate must have excellent project management, interpersonal communication (verbal and written), presentation, and problem solving skills, as well as excellent business ethics and uncompromising integrity.
- Propose new product design solutions which win customer approval for new business while maximizing value to SG. Assist engineering staff in the design and development of new products. Interface with them effectively to ensure the form, fit and function of designs and validation while also ensuring cost effectiveness and manufacturability of designs.
- Provides guidance to the Engineering team, manages the Product Test Lab, ensure departmental conformance to ISO requirements. Be the design authority for Electronics Products manufactured within the Garden Grove Plant. Support Change Controls as owner of product specifications and ultimate design authority.
- Visit customers as global technical expert, resolve complex customer issues and assist in technical aspects of business development as well as sustaining. Review and interpret data to make recommendations on immediate actions, long term corrective actions, follow-up experiments, etc.
- Collaborate and Assist Product Lab Tech for Carrying out experimental plans by defining test scope, data collection & analysis, and working with 3rd party testing for creating test reports for new product launch efforts. Product Specifications, Technical Datasheets, etc.
- Capture new ideas for possible patent submission and protect opportunities for SG IP.
Bachelor’s Degree - Mechanical Engineering or related field (Required)
- Master’s Degree - Engineering (Required)
- 10+ years' experience - Design Engineering in a Manufacturing Environment
- Minimum 7+ years in Valve, Pump and Manifold product design in Semiconductor market area. Specific experience with Valve and Pump design.
- Experience in interpreting customer and application/market requirements and translating to product design requirements and specifications
- Strong affinity for customer visits to evaluate their requirements and present solutions
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to multitask, be hands on and dive deep as needed, perform under pressure and meet deadlines
- Work from drawings, sketches and or scanned images, customer drawings, and or specifications.
- An excellent grasp of engineering and design principles.
- Provide design and specification development support to end users, integrators, and distributors
- Experience with plastics injection molding and interfacing with injection molding component suppliers to develop a new mold and validate the component part into the product
- Excellent project management, presentation and technical writing skill
- Proficiency in 3D CAD or design software (Pro-E a Plus, Solidworks)
Complexity of the Role
Ability to work under the pressures of time constraints in a fast paced work environment. Sense of urgency in not only completing projects but being proactive in initiating creative thought to improve processes (Design Approval, Validation, etc.). The Sr. Application Engineer is a dual role which supports both global engineering and sales support. As such, the successful candidate must demonstrate effective prioritization of the workload and efficient time management skills in order to meet both internal and external customer expectations. This may include circumstances where internal and external customer expectations may not be aligned.
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics is one of seven businesses within the Innovative Materials Sector, which is spear-heading the advancement of innovation within the Group. Performance Plastics is a recognized leader in the advanced polymer technology market with access to state-of-the-art manufacturing and research & development facilities around the world.
Through close partnerships with our business leaders, our team works to support the achievement of business goals while emphasizing the PPL values of accountability, trust, initiative, respect and helping.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.