Reference : USA00282
Sr. Principal Engineer - Process
- Technical Production
- United States , Pennsylvania , MALVERN
- Posting date : 01/04/2022
- Technical Production
- United States MALVERN
- Permanent / Regular
- Posting date : 01/04/2022
The objective of this position is to provide CertainTeed Roofing manufacturing facilities with engineering process design and project management services. It is the intent of the Senior Principal Engineer to be a team leader on major capital projects to produce roofing products; primarily focused on asphalt, pulverized & aggregate raw materials, and polymer storage, handling, and processing systems and their corresponding auxiliary services and utility support systems. This position will work closely with our plant customers and project team members at all levels, as well as outside engineering resources, to develop and execute projects that comply with product specifications and requirements for quality, cost, and delivery. In addition, this position will be responsible for maintaining the state of the art in roofing technology at the Roofing facilities. It is expected that this position will take the lead in developing new and innovative processes for Roofing.
- Manage cross-functional project team resources to complete projects on time and meet or exceed the objectives of the project. These projects range in magnitude from thousands to several million dollars.
- Manage project and technical risks. Be transparent with project challenges, both real and potential, and engage stakeholders as appropriate in scenario planning and risk mitigation activities.
- Project management in close collaboration with all stakeholders. Responsible for project success whether acting as project leader or working as part of a project team.
- Conduct preliminary engineering studies, technical design calculations, options analyses, and capital request preparation on projects.
- Direct evaluation and identification of areas of improvement in manufacturing processes. Develop innovative solutions and implement systems that optimize all phases of the production process.
- Conduct cost and time estimation studies. Provide support to internal customers with preliminary technical concepts and budgeting activities.
- Develop Statement of Work documents and work closely with purchasing agents to procure equipment, materials, services, and construction.
- Ability to manage outside contractors and multiple trade activities during construction phases of projects.
- Startup and commission equipment and electrical systems are onsite at customer facilities.
- Ensure engineering and technical rigor for projects are fully satisfied, per the standard work requirements. Follow through to ensure that Operations achieves a successful project startup and that any project-related action items are completed. Audit work for completeness.
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work through completion of the project.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and provide deep technical guidance to the engineering team in the areas of tanks, piping, and raw material handling systems.
- Help establish new and maintain existing standards.
- Technical writing including capital appropriation requests, technical narratives, SOP’s, User/Operating Manuals, Troubleshooting Guides, and Spare Parts Lists.
- Research solutions to complex technical problems and recommend cost-effective resolution approaches.
- Research supplier products for a best-fit solution to application specifications.
- Identify, establish, and maintain relationships with a variety of supply vendors and contractors. Utilize vendor knowledge to help in assessing plant changes or upgrades.
- Interface with all local, state, and federal agencies as their interests may arise in the course of a project.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Chemical Engineering, or similar related degree.
- Minimum 10 years related industry job experience, with 7+ years managing projects.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of tank, piping, and raw material handling systems design and their applications in an industrial, continuous process manufacturing environment.
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing methods and processes, including flow, layout, and assembly.
- Ability to read all types of engineering drawings.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project) and have strong computer literacy.
- Proficient with AutoCAD design/drafting tools.
- Demonstrated excellent safe work behaviors.
- Willing and capable of completing assigned work with minimal supervision.
- Willing and able to work in a variety of areas and conditions in an industrial manufacturing environment.
- Willing and able to climb and/or work in elevated areas; standing and sitting for extended periods.
- Travel is dependent upon particular assignments and can range from 50%- 70%
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience working on capital equipment projects within an industrial manufacturing facility.
- Thorough understanding of sizing, specifying, purchasing, and installation of storage, transfer, and processing systems of fluids with varying rheologies such as asphalt.
- Thorough understanding of sizing, specifying, purchasing, and installation of dry raw material storage, handling, and processing systems.
- Thorough understanding of sizing, specifying, purchasing, and installation of thermal fluids and heat transfer systems.
- Through understanding of sizing, specifying, purchasing, and installation of medium pressure steam boiler systems.
- Thorough understanding of sizing, specifying, purchasing, and installation of emission control systems.
- Field experience leading various trades and contractors.
- Experience with codes and standards related to tank fabrication, pressure vessels, heat exchange equipment, and piping systems.
- Strong project management skills.
- Six Sigma and/or Lean Manufacturing experience.
- Training and coaching skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, conflict resolution skills, and teamwork skills.
- Team and project first. Assist others while maintaining your own priorities.
- Results-driven and a hands-on approach to completion of assigned tasks.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines.
- Good verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with the engineering team, cross-functional departments, and management.
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills.
- Excellent customer skills.
- High regard for trust, integrity, honesty, ethics, innovation, and safety in self and others.
- High sense of responsibility, ownership, accountability. “All in” attitude. Be a trusted professional who delivers what is promised on time and with the highest level of quality.
- Capable of flexibility in work requirements/conditions/hours and willingness to embrace change while maintaining strategic focus.
- Ability to perform well under pressure.
- Work with all CertainTeed employees to foster and promote quality.
Who are we ?
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.