Reference : 578122
Materials Room Operator
- Technical Production
- Posting date : 05/21/2020
- Technical Production
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 05/21/2020
Position is on day shift. 12 hour shifts.
Materials Room Operator performs a full range of material handling duties that typically involve selecting and moving specialized bulk and bin materials such as resin and pellets to specified production and or storage locations. They may determine storage and space utilization and work on their own initiative to consolidate materials, and provide maximum space utilization and protection of materials. Materials Room Operator are able to independently draw, load and unload materials, check and process documents, and route materials and equipment to correct areas. Materials Room Operator will set up each Roto with required resin material. Move finished product to staging area, or warehouse. Materials Room Operator are responsible for keeping manufacturing jobs running and operators supplied with material and equipment. Materials Room Operator must run 9 different pieces of compounding equipment at once and be able to troubleshoot each piece of equipment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
Materials & Products
- Materials Room Operator demonstrates knowledge of the resin and pellet materials and equipment that enables them to make distinctions between materials and perform material handling operations to meet production demands.
- Materials Room Operator must be able to determine the difference between good colored resin and bad colored resin.
- Operate mechanized equipment including forklifts and other mobile/motorized equipment.
- Use computer keyboards to log material produced for shift, access build schedule, and fill material requests.
- Unload and stack material by operating lifting devices and manually moving material or equipment.
- Must be able to learn 9 different pieces of equipment.
- Perform routine and repetitive tasks and may be assigned a wide variety and range of duties requiring more specialized knowledge of production plans, methods, procedures, and techniques of material handling.
- Select, stack, move, and arrange items and must consider height, weight and special handling requirements. Materials Room Operator must have knowledge and skills required for the safe handling, storage and movement of materials handled.
- The Materials Room Operator must also be able to tell whether the forklift truck is able to lift the load and whether the load is properly balanced.
- The Materials Room Operator must know the layout of the production area to be able to find and place items without need for detailed instructions.
- Check inventory levels on production floor and supply operators with materials as needed.
- Weigh materials or product and records weight on tags, labels or production schedules.
- 9-12 months training required to become proficient in all phases of the job to work independently.
- Forklift operator’s license
- Extrusion and/or plastics experience helpful
- Materials Room Operator generally perform repetitive assignments such as setting up color changes, delivering material to the roto’s, starting and stopping machines and making minor adjustments to those machines.
Latitude of Judgment
- Materials Room Operator work under the guidance of a group leader or supervisor who provides general instructions on repetitive assignments and specific guidance including written instructions on new operations or procedures, but you must be able to troubleshoot and be able to preplan while being flexible to the current situation.
Motivated and self-driven
- The materials room is a fast paced department, you spend much of the shift alone with no oversite during the off hours shift, you must be able to make quick decisions and implement those decisions just as quickly. You must be organized and have the ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
- The Materials Room Operator must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel or crouch, talk or hear and smell.
Mental & Visual Demands
- The Materials Room Operator will be required to run up to 9 machines at once
- Some math is required decimals, fractions and simple adding and subtracting.
- Trouble shooting skills
Work Environment (with or without reasonable accommodations)
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to work near moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is frequently exposed to airborne particles and extreme heat (non-weather).
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Various (PPE) protective devices such as gloves, hearing, safety shoes, and glasses w/ side shields are required.
OTHER JOB-SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
Who are we ?
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.