Reference : USA06684
Electrical Project Engineer
- United States , Georgia , ATHENS
- Permanent / Regular
- Technical Production
Reporting directly to the Engineering Manager, the Electrical Projects Engineer will assist with the development and implementation of World Class Manufacturing (WCM) projects, production, processing methods and controls in a manner consistent with CertainTeed Insulation’s Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives. Through the application of engineering fundamentals and advances process control tools, this position will ensure that processes are centered, capable and in control; reduce process variations; and resolve special causes variation. This position will also provide support in the implementation of plant automation, electrical and database systems, electrical and electronic expertise to all production and maintenance operations throughout the plant.
Project Management encompasses:
Defining the problem, designing, or engineering the solution, writing the project scope, obtaining cost estimates, and submitting the request for the capital funds.
The execution of the project: Determining qualified contractors for the project, bidding project, analyzing, and selecting the contractor, managing the contractor during installation, monitoring, and controlling project spending, starting up project, interaction with users to develop punch list, and project closure.
The Project Engineer must evaluate the issues, design alternatives that resolve the problem, and determine the feasibility of the project.
Provide Electrical Engineering support to others doing projects in the department as well as the plant operations and maintenance departments. Provide Electrical Engineering interface between Technology Group projects and the plant.
The Electrical Projects Engineer may occasionally be scheduled to work off-hours as requirements dictate and occasionally be required to travel for training and visiting with vendors.
50% Project Management
- Perform all aspects of project management and design engineering for capital and expense projects – Capex ranges up to $3M
- Responsible for planning, evaluating, organizing, and implementing automation/electrical related projects and initiatives.
- Designing or developing new process control systems and revising/maintaining existing processes, developing, and implementing WCM projects, managing and guiding contractors, consultants, and suppliers (up to 30 persons at the time).
- Manage automation/electrical related projects and provide status reports to plant management. Develop and maintain PLC/HMI systems from the plant floor to management and financial levels.
- Identify and prioritize opportunities to improve product production cost, efficiency, waste, and safety.
- Research, design and evaluate electrical and automation equipment, processes, and systems. Develop CAD drawings, and schematics.
- Obtain cost estimates and contractor bids for electrical and automation projects and improvements.
- Prepare and manage capital expenditure requests.
- Manage equipment and panel design, fabrication, installation, programming, commissioning, and start-up.
- PROBLEM SOLVING -Decision making and problem solving should be based on Electrical Engineering and Economic principles. All designs and installation should follow National Electric Code (NEC), as well as Company specifications for electrical installations and machine electrical fabrication. Safety should always be a priority
50% Support Plant Production
- Provides technical support, troubleshooting and enhancement of automation related systems (PLC/HMI/VFD/Instrumentation/Data and Voice Networks/plant electrical distribution systems) and implements required updates to avoid technical obsolescence.
- Specify system components or direct modification of equipment to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and implement improvements.
- Assist with troubleshooting efforts with the plant Mechanical Engineers, Process Engineers and electrical maintenance department.
- Performs root-cause failure analysis as well as implements sustainable maintenance improvements.
- Assist in the development or standard operating procedures and work instructions regarding new/improved equipment or processes.
- Provides general technical support and leadership to the plant supervisory and hourly employees.
- Conduct behavior-based audits and 5S audits as well as support the plant WCM and EHS goals.
- May be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university or institution.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience as an Electrical Engineer in a manufacturing facility.
- Proficiency with high, medium and low voltage power distribution, process control instrumentation including DCS application and configuration experience, programmable controller-based control systems (preferably Allen-Bradley PLC-5 and Control Logix controllers), AC variable speed drive systems.
- Thorough knowledge of AC/DC drive systems, Power distribution systems including switch gear components, Servo Motor Equipment and programming, Ethernet Networking systems, HMI and PLC Programming / Troubleshooting, Electrical & Electronic systems integration, Electro-Mechanical design and troubleshooting
- Proficient in AutoCAD Electrical, including P&ID, IO schematics, one-line diagrams, 3-line schematics and other related knowledge.
- Interpersonal skills sufficiently developed to interact with plant personnel, other plants, suppliers, and contractors to find and implement solutions to problems.
- Good communicator and listener with the ability to instruct and get work done through others including the maintenance department and outside contractors.
- Ability to think clearly under stressful situations such as when the production line is down and quickly recommending solutions to solve the problem.
- Individual must interact effectively throughout different levels of the organization, including hourly plant associates, Finance and Operations teams
- Flexible, open-minded team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving capabilities to work effectively in corporate, manufacturing and team environments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- SAP experience is strongly preferred.
- Strong Decision-Making Skills.
- Must possess excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong Communication, Professional and Interpersonal Skills.
- Strong project management skills with excellent written and verbal skills
- Familiarity with 5S & Continuous Improvement Methodology
- General understanding of Federal and State Safety standards (OSHA 1910)
Who are we ?
At Saint-Gobain, our employees have pride in belonging to an organization whose culture is made up of these core values: Trust, Empowerment, & Collaboration. Our company encourages diversity and inclusion in all its forms while our products make the world a more beautiful, safer, and sustainable home.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.
We provide unique options to fit your unique lives! Our Total Rewards Program is customizable to accommodate your needs. Our menu of flexible options includes, but is not limited to:
- Excellent healthcare options: Medical, vision, prescription & dental
- Family Focus & Balance: Parental leave, paid time-off and Employee Assistance Program
- Financial Security: Competitive 401(k), Company-funded Retirement Accumulation Plan and Employee Stock Purchase Program (PEG)
- Tuition Reimbursement: Continuing education for every season of your career
- Pet Insurance options: Insurance plan & prescription discount program for your furry friends
- Employee Recognition Programs
- PerkSpot: Our exclusive one-stop online discount marketplace
- LiveWell: Rewarding you for living a healthy lifestyle