Reference : 566827
Process Engineer III
- Technical Production
- Posting date : 04/03/2019
- Technical Production
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 04/03/2019
The Process Engineer III will implement World Class Manufacturing (WCM) projects, production and processing methods and controls to meet customer based quality standards in a manner consistent with CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO). Utilizing WCM principles, this position will focus on product formulation, process development and optimization, equipment design and optimization, general project engineering, and trial planning and execution. The Process Engineer III will also support the plant and company strategic initiatives including capital projects that involve process improvements, sustainability and new product development. Through the application of process engineering fundamentals and advances process control tools, this position will ensure that processes are centered, capable and in control; reduce process variations; and resolve special causes variation.
- Reports directly to the Quality Manager.
- Analyzes process variations; develops solutions and implements corrective actions by using advanced statistical tools in identifying and resolving the root causes of the variations in the process, and participates in resolving critical process and product problems with customers and vendors.
- Responsibilities include the designing / developing new process systems, revising existing processes, and developing and coordinating the implementation of projects, which contribute substantially to plant profitability.
- As primary project leader, provides technical direction to designers, contractors and employees of associated projects.
- Interacts with Team for operational trouble-shooting, process improvement projects, production materials requirement, raw material availability and Quality Step Zero requirements.
- Compiles technical data and other background information to determine equipment performance specifications and established baselines. Interprets and extrapolates accumulated data to prepare diagrams and flow charts for the efficient operation of the equipment.
- Participate and/or may lead the WCM Pillar for Early Equipment Management (EEM) and be an advisor for Focused Improvement and Professional Maintenance teams.
- Assists with preparing programs for computer control systems.
- Interacts with consultants and suppliers to determine compatibility of other systems and products as they may apply to process improvement.
- Implements recommended process efficiency improvement projects.
- Ensure CertainTeed Gypsum’s standards of safety, quality and reliability are built into process and equipment solutions utilizing WCM principles.
- Works with project teams during delivery phase and commissioning of equipment.
- Develops and encourage innovative processes and equipment concepts along with follow through to Return on Investments (ROI) patents and / or proprietary intellectual property.
- Identifies safety, cost and quality opportunities and develops solutions for corrective actions.
- Analyzes operating problems, develops solutions, and leads the implementation of corrective actions.
- Organizes and initiates run trials to evaluate equipment, process and raw material opportunities.
- Support Manufacturing Business Plan opportunities.
- Provides professional training on the manufacturing process to internal employees.
- Complies with environmental standards, assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, and supports VMVO and WCM initiatives.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management.
- May consult with and/or assist other CertainTeed Gypsum North American plants on issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemical engineering or similar discipline or equivalent experience.
- Five to ten (5-10) years of applied professional process experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Two to three (2-3) years of experience in project management and project engineering fundamentals.
- Previous experience with product formulation, water and foam chemistries, mass & energy balance, flow diagrams, Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), fluid properties and thermodynamics.
- Working knowledge of advanced statistical tools used to reduce variations.
- Flexible, open-minded team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving capabilities to work effectively in corporate, manufacturing and team environments.
- Ability to provide leadership and innovation at all levels of the organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in gypsum chemistry and manufacturing process.
- Experience leading focused improvement (FI) or Kaizen projects.
- Previous AutoCAD experience.
- Responsible for capital project budget from planning to execution.
- Prepares capital expenditures and provides technical and budgetary input for the purpose of planning and scheduling projects.
Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes. Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, and weekend and holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
Must be able to spend a significant amount of time on plant floor. Job includes tasks that require walking, bending, twisting, gripping, stair and ladder climbing, entering confined spaces, navigating rough terrain and occasional lifting of up to 75 lbs. Job may require long periods of sitting, walking, standing, working on a computer or engaging in telephone conversation. Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government and company safety standards whenever engineered methods of reducing hazards or physical requirements cannot be reasonably accommodated.
The above declarations are not intended to be all-inclusive of this position’s duties, responsibilities and requirements to do this job. They are intended only to describe its general nature.
Who are we ?
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.