Reference : 565968
- Technical Production
- Posting date : 03/07/2019
- Technical Production
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 03/07/2019
The QPC Manager is responsible and accountable for providing leadership and technical expertise that is focused on relentless pursuit of achieving and maintaining Preferred Status in a manner in accordance with CertainTeed Gypsum’s (CTG) Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO). The required leadership is characterized by professional, passionate and persevering approach to the implementation and use of Quality and Process Control methods in support of the manufacturing operation.
- Reports directly to the Plant Manager and is a key member of the plant management team.
- Provides an accident free worksite while maintaining status as the preferred supplier of quality products and services.
- Models company vision, mission and values and sees that employees model the same.
- Leads quality department and ensures that department employees are properly trained and their skills are regularly assessed to determine development needs utilizing gap analysis from skill matrices and tailored training programs.
- Responsible for ensuring that the planning, implementation, maintenance and improvement of the facilities Quality System, in keeping with the Quality & Process Control (QPC) Pillar Steps, regulatory and World Class Manufacturing (WCM) requirements, is aligned with the plant’s business plans. This includes but is not limited to:
- Defining, identifying, and applying product and process control methods such as developing control plans, identifying critical control points, developing, validating and controlling work instructions relating to the Quality System.
- Selecting, interpreting and applying appropriate tools such as root cause analysis, plan-do-check-act, failure mode effects analysis (FMEA), and statistical process control (SPC) in appropriate situations.
- Defining and applying basic sampling techniques (e.g. random, stratified, etc.) and when sampling is appropriate.
- Selecting and applying advanced statistical methods (e.g. hypothesis testing, Analysis of Variance and Design of Experiments) in conjunction with the QPC Pillar, Technical Services and Central Engineering.
- Local control and dissemination of product master formulations, product and raw material specifications through the use of corporate and internal change management systems.
- Leads the effort to identify internal, chain and final customer expectations and needs relative to the elimination of defects and the production of a Preferred Product and Service.
- Leads and coordinates investigations and appropriate countermeasures relative to customer issues.
- Liaisons with CTG corporate, central engineering, supply chain and outside suppliers to insure quality of raw materials.
- Supports operations environment, personnel and processing, including:
- Evaluating and monitoring production processes and product quality;
- Effectively and continuously communicating with maintenance, operations and warehouse personnel and plant management;
- Providing expertise as a team member in QPC, Focused Improvement (FI), and/or other WCM projects;
- Leading and providing expertise in the completion of needs assessments, competency based training and follow up for all facility personnel and appropriate Quality and inspection methodologies in support of people development
- Defines, describes, and uses basic elements of systematic strategic planning models including how VMVO relate to the plan.
- Applies tools such as Gantt charts and work breakdown structures (WBS), to plan projects and estimate related costs and resource requirements.
- Identifies and utilizes various change management strategies to overcome organizational roadblocks and achieve desired change levels, and review outcomes for effectiveness.
- Helps apply techniques that support and sustain employee enthusiasm and momentum. Identifies and implement strategies that enable parties with different and opposing outlooks to recognize common goals and work together to achieve them.
- Complies with environmental standards, assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, and supports VMVO and WCM initiatives.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Has latitude for unilateral, reviewed actions and exercises independent judgment within established policies and procedures including the authority and responsibility to withhold materials and shipments as situations arise.
- Tracks, identifies and implement applicable federal, state and local requirement.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management.
- Bachelors of Science degree in engineering, chemistry or similar discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Six to eight (6-8) years of applied professional experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Five (5) years of experience managing the Quality and Process function in a high speed, continuous or multi-lane manufacturing environment with demonstrable bottom line results.
- Demonstrated ability and background in stastical process control (SPC).
- Ability to provide leadership and innovation at all levels of the organization.
- Flexible, open-minded team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving capabilities to work effectively in corporate, manufacturing and team environments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) certification as a Certified Quality Engineer (CQE); CQE Operational Excellence (CMQ/OE) is a plus.
- Previous experience in gypsum or paper manufacturing
- Previous experience using advanced statistical methods and on & off line statistical software.
- Writing capital expenditures and purchases of plant laboratory supplies.
- Planning projects and estimating related costs and resource requirements using tools such as early equipment management (EEM), Gantt charts and WBS.
- Planning and adhering to department budget.
Direct reports include Process Engineers, lab technicians and any other quality personnel. Provides coaching/mentoring to continuously develop quality staff, communicates performance expectations, and provides regular feedback of performance. Indirectly supervises and influences all other plant personnel in matters relating to quality of process and product.
Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes. Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, and weekend and holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
Job includes tasks that require walking, bending, twisting, gripping, stair and ladder climbing, entering confined spaces, navigating rough terrain and occasional lifting of up to 50lbs.
Job may require long periods of sitting, walking, standing, working on a computer or engaging in telephone conversation. Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government and company safety standards whenever engineered methods of reducing hazards or physical requirements cannot be reasonably accommodated.
The above declarations are not intended to be all-inclusive of this position’s duties, responsibilities and requirements to do this job. They are intended only to describe its general nature.
Who are we ?
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.