Reference : 554553
Principal Manufacturing Engineer
- Technical Production
- Posting date : 12/14/2018
- Technical Production
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 12/14/2018
PLEASE NOTE THE POSITION WILL HAVE EXTENSIVE TRAVEL OF 75% AND THE INDIVIDUAL CAN BE LOCATED EITHER AT OUR LAS VEGAS, NV OR SEATTLE, WA LOCATIONS.
The Principal Manufacturing Engineer serves as the North America technical lead within Area 3, which begins after the board forming table, includes board drying and all associated in-feed and out-feed systems, take-off, trimming, sawing, sorting, stacking and final product shipment preparations. Three key areas of responsibility for the role include :
- Capital Project Technical Support from concept identification and evaluation through successful post completion audit of projects;
- Development and Training of plant operations, maintenance and technical staff; and
- Assurance/accountability for Efficient and Sustainable Operations throughout NA, including Energy optimization.
Measures of performance will include project vertical start-up, full EEM compliance, attainment of project benefits, gap closure of training skills matrix, and significant improvement in NA technical reliability, yield, quality, and energy performance.
Role will function consistent with CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO), serving as a key provider to assure annual strategic objectives are attained as identified in Manufacturing Business Plans and Policy Deployment documents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: Further detailing the three key areas of responsibility:
Capital Project Technical Support responsibilities include:
- Identification, evaluation and recommendation of conceptual process and equipment alternatives, documented in a Conceptual Engineering Study;
- Detailed design scoping and detailed Equipment Specifications of process equipment, either individually or in collaboration with the project design engineering resource provided;
- Development and refinement of Automation Control Strategy and Narratives;
- Evaluation and selection of process equipment from competitive tenders to suit manufacturing best practices;
- Witness and approval of Factory Acceptance Testing of equipment and systems against clear criteria;
- Assimilation and/or development of Operating and Maintenance Training Materials and Standards for the project;
- Leadership of structured project Commissioning and Start-Up activities utilizing provided check-sheets and logs; and
- Post-completion Auditing of project operational and process driven financial objectives.
Organizational Training responsibilities include:
- Assimilation and establishment of process/equipment training materials and separate structured courses for plant operational, maintenance and technical staff, including site energy staff.
- Develop, lead and participate in the Gap assessment of individual skills matrix for each facility organization in the operating, maintenance and technical proficiencies. Prioritize, recommend and provide training regime for the facility to close training Gaps.
- In conjunction with facility management, recommend and select site individuals that are designated as area experts in each of operational, maintenance, automation and control expertise.
- Identify, document, catalogue and disseminate process Best Practices for the Area, including them in training materials.
- Coordinate development and presentation of structured training courses on a recurring and/or as-needed basis for plant staff, either centrally located, or on-site at manufacturing facilities.
- Transfer the knowledge to the ‘Boost’ platform in the form of modules to ensure training sustainability
- Validate participants’ proficiency through course testing, follow-up to assure application of knowledge within the facilities and delivery of results.
Efficient and Sustainable Operations support responsibilities include:
- Serve as the NA Energy expert for this Area of the manufacturing operation. Collaborate with the NA, site and global Energy Champions in assessing facilities, review of Energy Pillar Boards, and prioritization of needs. Serve as the lead in regular site energy assessments, audits, testing and suggestion of process modifications. Accountable to monitor and demonstrate positive improvement in energy performance.
- Lead equipment review, testing, evaluation, troubleshooting, Gap assessment, identification, prioritization and implementation of Actions needed to drive full Preventative Maintenance (PM) efforts to Step 3, utilizing WCM toolset, including among others, SMPs, ledgers, control narratives, etc. Objective is to maximize plant reliability.
- Provide, at minimum quarterly, update presentations to Sr NA Operations Management on prioritizations, action plans and progress achieved on a site-by site basis.
- Serve as the Area Equipment Expert to all NA facilities, available for, and/or coordination of operational troubleshooting when needed.
- Recognized Process Engineering expert for this Area within gypsum or a related manufacturing industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accredited engineering program, preferably chemical or mechanical engineering.
- Fifteen (15) years of applied professional process experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated record of positively improving efficiency and sustainability of manufacturing operations.
- Fully capable of developing process simulations, design of experiments, material and energy balances, design calculations, equipment sizing and data sheets, P&IDs and flow diagrams, process safety calculations, among others.
- Strong, positive safety record in regard to operations and capital project accountabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving capabilities to work effectively in corporate, manufacturing and team environments.
- Driven, self-guided, accountable, delivers and promotes stretch performance.
- Highly organized, documents meeting agendas, actions, trip reports, best practices. Provides innovative solutions.
- Strong commitment to cost savings, profit improvement delivery, efficiency.
- Superior communication, organization and presentation skills.
Who are we ?
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.