Reference : 587925
Senior Research Engineer I - Life Sciences, Medical and Electronics
- Research and Development
- United States , Northborough , NORTHBORO
- Posting date : 09/28/2021
- Research and Development
- United States NORTHBORO
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 09/28/2021
If you want to reshape the world and discover your greatest potential, Saint-Gobain provides one-of-a-kind opportunities for innovative problem solvers.
We're one of only two companies in the world that is consistently recognized as both a top Global Employer and a Top 100 Global Innovator, but Saint-Gobain's remarkable story and culture of innovation begins with a team of nearly 200,000 creative, diverse and passionate team members collaborating across the globe. We are committed to our mission to improve lives because, every day, we witness the enormous impact of our efforts on the world around us.
Saint-Gobain Life Sciences is looking for a Senior Research Engineer I to join our growing team. Saint-Gobain is a world leader in developing innovative, high-performance solutions through our exceptional experience in materials science and processing. We are searching for an experienced, hands-on leader to investigate, research, and develop new technologies that strengthen our offerings in the Medical Components and Electronics business unit. The new team member will have the opportunity to leverage their engineering and materials expertise by leading their projects from the initial stages of conceptualization, prototyping and experimental testing, to the implementation in manufacturing.
As a Senior Research Engineer, the selected candidate will be expected to lead R&D projects through effective collaboration with R&D colleagues, commercial team members, application engineers, external customers, and external suppliers. The candidate will create and execute project plans, design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and present findings in written and oral formats. In addition to the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to support projects led by others.
The main job duties will include:
- Utilizes strong research and/or project experiences and broad expertise in polymer materials to improve on/or develop new products and processes.
- Manages projects from inception through scale-up. Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives. Is able to balance creativity with process and documentation.
- Excellent communicator who is able to communicate technically with internal and external collaborators and utilize knowledge to identify solutions, advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- Maintains open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility. Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Defines the associated tasks and milestones for research and proposes the technical approach, cost estimates, and time schedule. Upon approval, incumbent is responsible for equipment purchases, prototype development, supervision of project team and compilation of results and recommendations
- Continuously and reliably carries projects through to completion with little assistance from supervisor.
- Major problems and approval for major expenditures are referred to supervisor.
- Able to communicate and use business language in an industrial environment and coordinate with plant operations.
- Understands Gate Process and Change/Design Control methodology/ideology and utilizes and incorporates it in projects.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 7+ years’ experience, or MS with 3+ years of experience, or entry level PhD.
- Demonstrated project management skills, team collaboration, and oral, written and visual communication skills.
- Confident, independently-motivated self-starter.
- Demonstrated aptitude to quickly understand new concepts and technology and apply them.
- Ability to network/communicate within and out of group, as well as across disciplines.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
- Ability to maintain composure and organize teams in high pressure situations.
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of hands-on new product and/or process development, familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation.
- Demonstrate adequate knowledge in HSE.
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.