Reference : 586898
Principal Scientist Polymers
- Research and Development
- United States , Northborough , NORTHBORO
- Posting date : 07/08/2021
- Research and Development
- United States NORTHBORO
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 07/08/2021
CertainTeed is seeking a driven, talented, and energetic senior level polymer scientist to join our team in a newly created role. This position is accountable for overseeing manufacturing and technical development projects, implementing process improvements, and sharing best practices at all roofing plants. This position will lead the development and implementation of new polymers/compounds, processes, techniques & tools, which will be confirmed through the application of engineering & material fundamentals and statistical tools. Phases of development include pilot, scale-up, and implementation of R&D new products and processes into manufacturing. The candidate will take project objectives and transform them in to actionable tasks including research of technologies, design and execution of experiments, analysis of results, and generation of IP and technical reports. The ability to communicate across all levels of the organization will be essential for this role in order to influence others and drive projects.
This position will have a focus on research and development in all aspects of the group’s technical area and new product development, thereby building technical depth in multiple areas of polymer process technology and serve as technical expert in polymer science and implementing formulation optimization customized for each shingle plant. The polymer scientist will have experience in compounding resins and characterization of polymers and blends. In addition to a strong polymers background, the candidate should have a basic understanding of structure-property relationships and polymer physics. Under the direction of the R&D Manager, the candidate will also design, run experiments, produce lab scale samples, operate pilot equipment, and analyze the experimental outcomes. In addition to conducting experiments and trials for the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to support projects led by others as a subject matter expert on polymer processing. The candidate will take a key role on product assessment, optimization and scale up. S/He will organize R&D technical exchanges, identify, and share best practices between glass mat and shingle plants.
- Conducts research and development on polymer-based products, process improvements related to the production of residential shingles
- Knowledgeable in polymers used in the building industry
- Rational design of polymer architectures to achieve targeted properties
- Characterization of polymer microstructure and macroscopic properties including thermal, rheological and mechanical properties
- Collaborate with other labs and functions in the development of polymer-asphalt systems for the Roofing market
- Ability to work in a production environment, building relationships and establishing support to drive projects forward.
- Track record of consensus building with colleagues on all levels of an organization to influence others and execute in a cross-functional environment.
- Manages multiple projects at various plants simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives. Communicates to all stakeholders from plant personnel, operations management, finance, purchasing, marketing and research and development to drive projects forward.
- Leads polymer compounding projects from conceptualization to equipment design and purchase of equipment for scale up
- Responsible for equipment purchases, prototype development, supervision of project team and compilation of results and recommendations. Held accountable to project budget, timeline and deliverables. Achieves substantial cost savings for the business.
- Visits with suppliers for purchasing and explores and implements new technologies independently.
- Identifies opportunities that could benefit from innovative solutions and work with R&D, operations, and technical teams to develop innovative solutions.
- Works with Saint-Gobain North American Research & Development Center (SGR-NA), CertainTeed Roofing Engineering, and other R&D resources within Saint-Gobain (SG) to identify and develop practical concepts and solutions for Roofing applications.
- Coordinates work with external suppliers, universities, institutes and contract laboratories.
- Manages projects from technical concepts to operational handoff. Utilizing experimental design techniques to define key variables and optimize Roofing products or process.
- Provides technical support and assistance for trials, commissioning and troubleshooting of new technology utilizing WCM tools and principles.
- Prepares trial plans and leads manufacturing trials.
- Responsible for developing and presenting project progress to all levels of the organization.
- Responsible for thorough documentation and communication of projects, trial reports, scientific developments, etc.
- Develops and encourages innovation and Intellectual Property (IP) development and fosters IP development through the patent process with legal support.
- Preparation of Capital Requests.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- Demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments, team collaboration, and oral and written communication skills required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill to communicate in a clear, effective, and respectful way to all levels in a global organization
- Degree in the area of polymer or material science preferred
- Experience with polymer compounding is a plus.
- MS with 10+ years of experience, or PhD with 5+ years plus demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments is strongly preferred
- 3+ years of hands on experience with manufacturing processes/equipment in an industrial or research setting.
- Green or Black Belt Certification required
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.