Reference : 566272
Senior Research Engineer II -PVC
- Research and Development
- United States Northborough
- Posting date : 03/14/2019
- Research and Development
- United States NORTHBORO
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 03/14/2019
Adfors, our innovative textiles division, is looking for a driven, talented and energetic researcher to join our current team in conducting hands-on laboratory experiments for key development programs. Projects will focus on process and product development activities related to PVC formulation of Saint-Gobain extensive product line. As a Senior Research Engineer, the candidate will research and develop new technologies to improve processes and products within our business. Candidate is also expected to be seen as a leader within group that is a resource to other group members and helps to develop others within the group. Phases of development include pilot, scale-up, and implementation of R&D processes into manufacturing. For more information about Adfors: http://www.adfors.com/us.
The candidate will be expected to lead R&D projects in the areas of technology involving PVC / plastisol /organosol formulation. Create and execute project plans, design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and present findings in written and oral formats. Candidate is also expected to play a role in proposing projects and programs vital to the R&D direction of the group. In addition to the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to support projects led by others.
- Extensively utilizes research and/or project experiences and broad expertise of materials, processes, techniques, and products to improve on or develop products, increase performance, or reduce costs, in order to maximize production and/or to support fundamental research within a major product or technology area.
- Incumbent defines the associated tasks and milestones for research and proposes the technical approach, cost estimates, and time schedule. Upon approval, incumbent is responsible for equipment purchases, prototype development, supervision of project team and compilation of results and recommendations
- Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives.
- Stays aware of new technology applications and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products and processes, and in development of new knowledge.
- Collaborate effectively with R&D colleagues, product managers, product engineers, application engineers and external customers.
- Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies and university collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- Requires minimal assistance and guidance on administrative and technical aspects of role.
- Continuously and reliably carries projects through to completion with little assistance from supervisor.
- Keeps project teams on track with project timeline and budget.
- Able to communicate and use business language in an industrial environment and coordinate with plant operations.
- Understands Gate Process methodology/ideology and utilizes and incorporates it in research projects
- Be able to fill in standard deliverables for project management through interactions with internal contacts outside of R&D
- Effectively leads cross functional teams by managing (either directly or indirectly) others to execute and deliver project objectives.
- Technical problem solving; Generating original ideas and inventing new process and other technical results.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 12+ years’ experience, or MS with 7+ years of experience, or PhD with 3+ years plus demonstrated technical judgment/accomplishments; in Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry or other related disciplines.
- Experience with formulation of PVC and plastisol/organosol is required.
- Manufacturing experience with PVC and plastisol/organosol use for coating of fibers is highly preferred.
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation, IP, Patents, and technical documents.
- Demonstrated ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
- Develop ability to maintain composure and organize teams in high pressure situation.
- Demonstrate understanding of company policies
- Demonstrate understanding of corporate structure
- Hands-on experience with manufacturing processes/equipment in an industrial or research setting
- Valid driver's license is required to access remote plant locations
- Ability to travel 25%-50%
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.