Reference : USA04280
Senior Research Engineer I - Aerospace R&D
- Research and Development
- United States , Massachusetts , NORTHBORO
- Permanent / Regular
Saint-Gobain Research North America is looking for a collaborative, talented, and energetic research engineer to join our growing Aerospace R&D team. Saint-Gobain is a world leader in developing sustainable, innovative, high-performance solutions through our unparalleled expertise in composite materials design and optimization. We are searching for a senior scientist to research and develop new technologies that strengthen our product portfolio, which encompasses dorsal and nose cone radomes as well as multilayer aerospace windshields and cabin windows for various types of aircraft such as commercial liners, business jets and helicopters. The new team member will have the opportunity to leverage their skillset in mechanics, material science and computational analysis by contributing to a dynamic research team focused on the understanding of complex material behavior, constitutive modeling, optimization and distributed numerical tools for engineering design.
The candidate will play a key role in the interaction with different design engineering offices, manufacturing/process engineers and marketing/commercial team members to investigate new materials and augment the computational analyses required for aerospace and composites product development. The selected candidate will be expected to support collaborative R&D projects while leading specific projects. Additionally, the candidate will interface with universities to develop more fundamental understanding.
The candidate will need to:
- Work collaboratively with several teams (some international)
- Lead several technical projects simultaneously
- Extensively utilize broad expertise in material science as well as in solid/structural/applied/ computational mechanics to accelerate composite product development and empower commercialization.
- Develop engineering code (Python preferred) and leverage tools like FEA (Abaqus preferred) to implement material models needed to propose innovative design ideas and optimize aerospace & composites products
- Apply/create mechanical test protocols from the material to the product scale to characterize complex material behavior, feed newly developed material models, and assess in-application performance
- Balance creativity with process and documentation
- Seek out feedback from others to enhance and streamline development and decision making
- Communicate with internal & external partners including universities and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies
- Search for and assess new technology applications within the Aerospace industry as well as modern academic methodologies and literature
- Strong background in material science (polymer / textile / composites) and/or mechanical engineering
- Openness to learning and gaining new skills related to materials, processes, equipment, tools and software
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and actively seek out feedback from others
- Strong communication skills and desire to advance projects and propose new productive synergies
- BS Degree with a minimum of 7+ years’ experience or MS with 3+ years of experience plus demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments or entry level PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Mechanics, Computational Mechanics, Material Science
- Experience with composites materials in manufacturing / testing / design
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA - Abaqus preferred) and/or coding experience (Python preferred))
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain Research (SGR) North America is one of Saint-Gobain’s largest industrial research laboratories. The center is home to more than 400 employees working at the leading edge of innovation on multidisciplinary industrial research, preparing the future by designing tomorrow's products and processes across an amazing variety of markets and technical disciplines. Since 1985, SGR North America has been supporting existing businesses, developing future businesses, and nurturing talent.
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.