Reference : 587699
Senior Research Engineer I
- Research and Development
- United States , Portage , PORTAGE
- Posting date : 09/10/2021
- Research and Development
- United States PORTAGE
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 09/10/2021
If you want to reshape the world and discover your greatest potential, Saint-Gobain provides one-of-a-kind opportunities for innovative problem solvers.
We're one of only two companies in the world that is consistently recognized as both a top Global Employer and a Top 100 Global Innovator, but Saint-Gobain's remarkable story and culture of innovation begins with a team of nearly 200,000 creative, diverse and passionate team members collaborating across the globe. We are committed to our mission to improve lives because, every day, we witness the enormous impact of our efforts on the world around us.
Saint-Gobain Life Sciences is looking for a Senior Research Engineer I to join our growing team. Saint-Gobain is a world leader in developing innovative, high-performance solutions through our exceptional experience in materials science and processing. We are searching for an experienced, hands-on leader to investigate, research, and develop new technologies that strengthen our molding competencies. The new team member will have the opportunity to leverage their engineering and materials expertise by leading their projects from the initial stages of conceptualization, prototyping and experimental testing, to the implementation in manufacturing.
As a Senior Research Engineer, the selected candidate will be expected to lead R&D projects through effective collaboration with R&D colleagues, commercial team members, application engineers, external customers, and external suppliers. The candidate will create and execute project plans, design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and present findings in written and oral formats. Candidate is also expected to utilize one’s experience and technical research to play a role in proposing projects and programs vital to the Life Science’s R&D direction within silicone molding. In addition to the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to support projects led by others.
The main job duties will include:
- Utilizes strong research and/or project experiences and broad expertise in materials, processes, and techniques to develop products, increase performance, and/or reduce costs within areas of injection molding; specifically, areas of silicone, plastic, micro, and multi-material molding as well as secondary operations.
- Manages projects from inception through scale-up. Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget to meet business and customer objectives. Data and results to be presented in oral and written form.
- Defines the associated tasks and milestones for research and proposes the technical approach, cost estimates, and time schedule. Upon approval, incumbent is responsible for equipment purchases, prototype development, supervision of project team and compilation of results and recommendations
- Stays aware of new technology applications and competitive uses of technology in work with materials, products, and processes. Utilizes this knowledge to play a role in proposing projects and programs vital to the Life Sciences business direction within silicone molding.
- Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies, university collaborators, suppliers, and customers and utilize knowledge to find solutions, advance projects, and identify productive synergies.
- Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Continuously and reliably carries projects through to completion with little assistance from supervisor.
- Major problems and approval for major expenditures are referred to supervisor.
- Able to communicate and use business language in an industrial environment and coordinate with plant operations.
- Understands Gate methodology and change/design control methodology and incorporates it in research projects.
- The incumbent is familiar with patent activities in his/her area of expertise and develops patentable concepts.
- BS or MS Degree in Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, or other related disciplines; Required
- 7+ years of related work experience; Required
- Heavy work related experience in project management and vendor relations; Required
- Experience in manufacturing environments; silicone molding, plastics and polymer processes; Preferred
- Engineer related experience in investigations, defining test protocols and analyzing statistical data; Preferred
- Experience leading the collaboration with various project resources and providing data for recommendations; Preferred
- Ability to provide innovative and creative data driven problem solving solutions; Preferred
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain’s innovations touch almost every major industry around the world. Within its Life Sciences division, teams are solving critical problems for customers who are getting life-saving medical devices to the frontlines of healthcare, discovering essential medications, and nourishing and connecting the world through consumer, industrial and electronics applications. As one of the world’s leading producers of high-performance polymer products, we improve lives by making simple experiences better and being there in life’s critical moments.
Our team members recognize that we all create the environment for people to succeed, with a culture built on respect, open and honest communication, and honoring our commitments to our customers and each other. And at the heart of our culture, we’ve learned working together makes good ideas, great ones.
With a legacy dating back more than 350 years, Saint-Gobain offers employees the stability and security of a leading Global 500 corporation while operating like multiple small and agile start-ups, where entrepreneurial spirit, pioneering teamwork, and bold, forward-thinking ideas pave new paths.
Every team member is encouraged to develop and leverage their unique expertise and strengths to make the greatest impact on the company and our end users. At Saint-Gobain, you’re empowered and equipped with countless opportunities and resources for professional development. You will find the support you need to create a vision and roadmap for your career, and make that vision a reality.
Invent yourself at Saint-Gobain Life Sciences; and together, we’ll create a better life.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.