Reference : 587918
Principal Scientist - Gypsum (Facer)
- Research and Development
- United States , Malvern , Malvern
- Posting date : 09/28/2021
- Research and Development
- United States Malvern
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 09/28/2021
Malvern Innovation Center is looking for driven, talented, and experienced researchers to join our current team in conducting research, developing technical base, and formulating strategy for future research within the group. Projects will focus on improvement of processes, performance and product development activities related to Saint-Gobain extensive product line.
Principal Scientist position is responsible for leading manufacturing and technical development projects and process improvements. This position will facilitate the development and implementation of new processes, techniques & tools. The ability to communicate across all levels of the organization will be essential for this role in order to influence others and drive projects.
- Conducts research and development process improvements related to the production of Gypsum Wall Board
- Works with all US & Canadian plants around new product development with a focus on glass-faced portfolio of products.
- Establish a liner (paper and glass mat) competency in R&D. Develop technical expertise and lead innovation in facer to support various gypsum board projects through internal and external collaboration. Act as subject matter expert on facer technologies for gypsum board.
- Stays aware of new technology applications and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products and processes, and in development of new knowledge and applies this to personal research/ products.
- Develops and encourages innovation and Intellectual Property (IP) development and fosters IP development through the patent process with legal support.
- Proven ability to work in a production environment, building relationships and establishing support to drive projects forward.
- Utilizes sound technical knowledge of materials, processes, techniques, and products to improve on product performance to reduce costs, to maximize production, and to support new knowledge research.
- Manages projects on time and within budget to meet business and customer objectives. Document and report project progress and technical learnings in the form of presentation and/or technical memo.
- Demonstrates open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility.
- Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
- Able to communicate technically with internal competencies and university collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
- Identifies opportunities that could benefit from innovative solutions and work with R&D, operations, and technical teams to develop solutions.
- Provides technical support and assistance for trials, commissioning and troubleshooting of new technology.
- Responsible for thorough documentation and communication of projects, trial reports, scientific developments, etc.
- Prepares trial plans and leads manufacturing trials.
- Responsible for developing and presenting project progress to all levels of the organization.
- Coordinates work with external suppliers, universities, institutes and contract laboratories.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- Incumbent demonstrates ability to work with colleagues at various levels.
- Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
- Demonstrate ability to network within and out of group.
- Demonstrate understanding of company policies
- Develop understanding of corporate structure.
- BS Degree with a minimum of 15+ years’ experience, or MS with 10+ years of experience, or PhD with 6+ years in Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, Polymer Science or other related disciplines plus demonstrated technical judgement/accomplishments, project leadership, team collaboration, and oral and written communication skills
- Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: development of new competencies, IP, development of new products, and implementation of new capabilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge in HSE and track of record on IP and publication.
- Demonstrated project leadership capabilities.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment is required.
Who are we ?
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.