Reference : 564958
- Health, Safety and Environment
- Posting date : 02/12/2019
- Health, Safety and Environment
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 02/12/2019
This position is designed to accomplish goals of the organization by the judicious application of knowledge and experience in implementation and management of a complete plant Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs for the Charleston, SC facility, to minimize all safety risks and reduce potential liabilities.
This position acts as a resource within the facility to other departments regarding employee safety, performs audits, employee and contractor training, ensures environmental compliance, and leads the plant environmental reporting and improvement efforts. The EHS Manager requires technical skills and knowledge of the process as well as strong capabilities in areas of planning, scheduling, organizing, follow up and cost control.
NATURE & SCOPE OF POSITION:
Position will help bolster plant operations relative to safety needs. The incumbent will be responsible for compliance to all local, state, and federal regulations. The incumbent ensures compliance with all safety procedures, establishes, and promotes the maintenance of a safe, accident free and healthy work environment, thereby eliminating or controlling hazardous conditions resulting from human error, equipment and machine operations, which may lead to human injury and or property damage. Long term, mid-term and daily planning are a key aspect of the position responsibilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES::
- Supervise and provide direction to Environmental Support position
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to continually improve the facilities environmental program
- Proactively manage plant environmental programs utilizing EvE
- Assess potential environmental risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Identify root causes of environmental problems and propose appropriate actions plans.
- Coordinate with management to schedule periodic maintenance and upgrade activities to environmental control equipment.
- Monitors Federal, State and Local standards and regulations; recommends required new programs/elements to management and the Environmental Committee
- Maintain complete, clear and accurate documentations/reports for environmental activities at the facility
- Manage asbestos abatement plan and procedure
- Leads the hourly/salaried Environmental Committee & maintains accurate minutes
- Manage site internal SG (GAIA) requirements
- Manage all employee environmental training requirements and ensure they are up to date
- Evaluate data using standard statistical methods
- Coordinate plant environmental initiatives
- Work in coordination with department managers and regional EHS Managers
- Must be able to interact with all levels of plant personnel as well as contractors; possess strong social skills
- Ensures company methods and procedures for communicating environmental, health & safety matters to employees are effective, and employee concerns and suggestions receive prompt response by management
- Manage EHS calendars with periodic review
- Manage the site Title V Air Permit including but not limited to:
- Analyze NESHAP AAAAAAA GACT data for compliance
- Analyze daily air control device shift reports for compliance
- Manage Gensuite Air Log recordkeeping system
- Maintain and prepare air permit reports as required
- Manage the site Water Permits including but not limited to:
- Analyze NPDES Permit Samples and inspections for compliance
- Analyze site SPCC Plan and inspections for compliance
- Analyze site SWPPP and inspections for compliance
- Maintain and prepare permit reports related to water as required
- Managing and disposal of the plant waste streams including but not limited to:
- All recycling efforts throughout the site
- Universal waste management
- Hazardous waste management
- Waste cage inspections
- Maintain and prepare permit reports related to waste as required
- Manage site Radiation permit and related requirements
- Manage industrial health monitoring and records of employee hazard exposure according to OSHA regulations
- Evaluates environmental impact of all projects and determines appropriate mitigation measures
- Investigate any environmental related incidents and ensure prompt corrective actions are implemented
- ISO 14001 and document management
- Manage Gensuite related to environmental topics
- Other duties as requested, directed or assigned
SAFETY & HEALTH:
To ensure zero accidents and zero occupational illnesses with a consistent risk prevention system. Follow the CertainTeed Health and Safety Rules, ensure safe operating conditions within area of responsibility, and notify coworkers and supervisors of hazardous acts and conditions. Proper use of PPE; use only defect-free equipment. Promote safety in department. Use proper lifting techniques when needed. Maintain clean and safe working environment in line with 5-S Philosophy. Facilitate and/or participate in safety training and safety committee meetings.
ENVIRONMENT & RISK PREVENTION:
To ensure zero industrial incidents and zero non-recycling waste with a consistent risk prevention system. Follow established risk guidelines that prescribe assessment standards and standardize daily inspection items and enhance in-service training by assigning environmental risk managers as key persons. Emergency response training and training on environmental risk operations, including temporary workers and contract workers. Ensure full implementation of environmental risk management, including accident prevention and legal compliance. Conduct work with high environmental awareness. Raise environmental awareness through energy conservation initiatives.
Able and willing to work in other areas as needed. Must be flexible in taking lunch and breaks when workflow requires. Willing to work additional hours as necessary.
Actively participates in continuous improvement of products and processes to better serve customers and improve the overall profitability of CertainTeed. Actively seek out work in other areas when current assignment is complete. Make suggestions for improving product quality, processes, safety, and company profitability.
Positive working attitude toward other employees; be a team player. Work with others constructively and abide by company policies and procedures. Working together as a team for continuous improvement is vital to ensure the future of CertainTeed and its employees.Teamwork will be required to be effective in daily production assignments as well as special improvement projects.
Lead the team, provide innovative thought leadership on strategies to grow market share, increase profitability, and meet long-term business goals.
Step-up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; read situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation.
DEALING WITH AMBIGUITY:
Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can handle risk with confidence.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS:
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and talk and hear. Other physical requirements include:
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 25lb’s without assistance.
- Ability to work from various squatting, kneeling or bending positions.
- Ability to work with arms above head.
- Ability to perform all operations within acceptable quality and time standards.
- Ability to operate and understand the operation of all protective safety equipment in the area.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Hand-eye coordination.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Usually the employee will perform the majority of this job in an office environment. However, while performing the duties of this job, the employee may work near moving mechanical parts. The employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
Personal Protective Equipment Recommended and/or Required:
- Safety glasses if walking in plant vicinity.
- Earplugs if walking in plant vicinity.
- Steel toe shoes if walking in plant vicinity.
- Hard hat/bump cap if walking in plant vicinity.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Environmental Science Degree Preferred).
- 3 to 5 years of experience (manufacturing environment preferred)
- Any appropriate combination of academic and work experience.
- Read, write, comprehend, and verbally communicate simple instructions, short correspondence and memos in English
- Perform all operations within acceptable quality and time standards
- Effectively present information to employees at all levels of the organization
- Recognize quality expected and be able to reproduce it
- Multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations
- Must be able to effectively use Microsoft Office including Excel/Word/Powerpoint
Who are we ?
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,300 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. www.certainteed.com
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.