Reference : 583882
Support Specialist - Oracle Database
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 11/20/2020
- Permanent / Regular (US)
- Posting date : 11/20/2020
Who are we ?
Innovative? Customer Focused? Agile? Open and Engaging? Entrepreneurial? – Our key attitudes and way we like to work at Saint-Gobain. If this sounds like you, please read on to find out more about the Support Specialist (Oracle Database) based in Huddersfield.
Saint-Gobain - Winners of ‘TOP EMPLOYER UK AND GLOBAL' five years running! (2016-2020)
A truly exciting time to join us here at Saint-Gobain as we continue to embark on our new Digital Transformation project. Saint-Gobain is a global leader in the construction industry with a presence in over 67 countries.
How will you support us?
You will be responsible supporting live service by providing specialist knowledge and expertise in the management of business-critical Oracle databases. Liaise with DBA team to ensure that production databases which underpin the core ERP system are managed proactively, and that maintenance work is planned and scheduled around business activity. Work closely with ERP functional and support teams in order to understand the impact of application changes to the underlying database layer and ensure that the implementation of these changes into production environments is effectively coordinated. Act as a senior member of the Service Delivery team, providing guidance and mentoring to other team members as required.
To be suitable for the Support Specialist role you will:
- Proactively manage and monitor production database instances, ensuring that the databases relied on by business-critical systems are available for use and performant.
- Manage the databases used by pre-production and test systems, ensuring that these reflect live and that any necessary work to support project delivery is undertaken in a timely manner.
- Work with ERP Functional Design and Applications Support teams to provide technical input for database-related projects or support issues.
- Manage database patching and upgrade cycles, ensuring that work to deploy these is planned around business activity, and interruption to service is minimised.
- Own and resolve assigned Incidents, ensuring that effective communication with customers is maintained throughout and business impact is understood and minimised.
- Take a lead technical role in the management of major incidents ensuring that the incident is managed and communicated effectively.
- Ensure that assigned Service Requests are fulfilled in a timely manner and that customers are sent notification when work is complete.
- Play a key role in the transfer of knowledge throughout the team, providing assistance to other team members as required.
- Play a key role in embedding a culture of innovation and improvement within the team, ensuring that the teams day-to-day activities remain relevant, efficient and fit for purpose.
What kind of person are we looking for?
First and foremost, we always want to recruit talented people that align well with our values and way of working. In addition to the five Saint-Gobain attitudes we shared at the start, suitability for the role is always key; does the following criteria sound like you?
In order to be successful in this role, you must have;
- Experienced in working with Oracle 12c.
- An understanding of application architecture and how applications interact with the Oracle database.
- An understanding of the core components of relational databases.
- Experience of managing database performance and making recommendations to improve this.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- An aptitude for IT and a desire to learn.
- Excellent communication skills and a confident phone manner.
- Able to act as a mentor for other team members.
- An understanding of system interfaces.
- An awareness of the ITIL service lifecycle.
- Working knowledge of UNIX-based operating systems.
- Documentation writing experience.
- Competent in use of MS Office applications.
- Good knowledge of Oracle RAC and DataGuard.
- A good level of knowledge of supporting a Kerridge ERP system.
- ITIL Foundation qualified.
- Able to write scripts in one or more scripting languages.
We also offer some fantastic benefits, including;
- Competitive salary and bonus scheme
- Excellent Retirement Savings Plan with additional Life Cover increasing employer contributions with service
- Employee Recognition Scheme – Recognise & Reward
- Learning & development opportunities via our online portal from day one
- Staff discounts on all UK Saint-Gobain brands!
- Share Scheme
“The world of work is changing, and at Saint-Gobain we are open to new ways of working in order to attract talented people to our business. We understand that everyone has different needs and commitments. Therefore, we are very open to discuss any flexible requirement or need that you may have for this role. We can’t guarantee to meet all requests for flexibility when we are recruiting. But, we promise to listen.”
Who are Saint-Gobain?
Saint-Gobain was founded in 1665 to deliver a world first – the production of glass on an industrial scale. We have continued to adapt and grow through providing innovate ideas, services and products to our customers. 350 years later we have a presence in 67 countries and employ 170,000 people worldwide. The UK & Ireland is home to over 30 of the most well-known and respected businesses within the construction sector including: British Gypsum, Jewson, Weber, Graham and Glassolutions.
You are applying to work with Saint Gobain Building Distribution this is one of more than 32+ fascinating Saint-Gobain businesses that operate within UK and Ireland. Regardless of which business you join, you will be welcomed into a professional and warm environment, where we value all of our employees equally and have a strong focus on their health, safety and wellbeing at all times.
Our Ambition as a business?
At Saint-Gobain, our goal is to ‘Create great living places and improve people’s daily life’. We design, manufacture and distribute materials and solutions, which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Do you want to be part of this vision? Click apply, we would love to hear from you!
SAINT-GOBAIN ENCOURAGE AND WELCOME DIVERSE APPLICATIONS AND ARE COMMITED TO SUCCESS THROUGH OUR DIVERSE COLLEAGUE COMMUNITY. We’re committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of ethnicity, colour, race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, taste in music, fashion sense or any other characteristic that makes you unique. If you have a disability or special need that requires support or adjustments to working or interview arrangements, please let us know.
On occasion we need to close advertisements earlier than expected, we therefore strongly encourage you to make your application promptly to avoid disappointment.
AGENCY? Please note that we have our own recruitment marketing and search functions alongside an already agreed set of agency partners and will not accept any third party CV’s/Applications from anyone unless invited to do so. Saint-Gobain accepts no responsibility for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
GDPR - You will find information on our privacy notice here: http://www.saint-gobain.co.uk/applicantdataprivacy/