Reference : CAN00335
Hot End Process Engineer II
- Canada , Ontario , OTTAWA
- Permanent / Regular
- Technical Production
What’s the job?
The Process Engineer will implement World Class Manufacturing (WCM) projects, production and processing methods and controls to meet customer based quality standard in a manner consistent with CertainTeed Canada Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO). Utilizing WCM principles, this position will focus on product formulation, process development and optimization, equipment design and optimization, general project engineering, and trial planning and execution. The Process Engineer* II will also assist with Process Innovation through close collaboration with CertainTeed and Saint-Gobain support groups. Through the application of process engineering fundamentals and advances process control tools, this position will ensure that processes are centered, capable and in control; reduce process variations; and resolve special causes variation.
- Reports directly to the Process Manager.
- Analyzes process variations; develops solutions and implements corrective actions by using advanced statistical tools in identifying and resolving the root causes of the variations in the process, and participates in resolving critical process and product problems with customers and vendors.
- Responsibilities include designing / developing new process systems, revising existing processes, and developing and coordinating the implementation of projects, which contribute substantially to plant profitability.
- Interacts with Team for operational trouble-shooting, process improvement projects, production materials requirement, raw material availability and Quality Step Zero requirements.
- Compiles technical data and other background information to determine equipment performance specifications and established baselines. Interprets and extrapolates accumulated data to prepare diagrams and flow charts for the efficient operation of the equipment.
- Assists with preparing programs for computer control systems.
- Interacts with consultants and suppliers to determine compatibility of other systems and products as they may apply to process improvement.
- Implements recommended process efficiency improvement projects.
- Ensure CertainTeed Canada’s standards of safety, quality and reliability are built into process and equipment solutions utilizing WCM principles.
- Assists project teams during delivery phase and commissioning of equipment.
- Develops and encourage innovative processes and equipment concepts along with follow through to Return on Investments (ROI) patents and / or proprietary intellectual property.
- Identifies safety, cost and quality opportunities and develops solutions for corrective actions.
- Participates and runs trials to evaluate equipment, process and raw material opportunities.
- Analyzes operating problems, develops solutions, and implements corrective actions.
- Provides training for operators and maintenance personnel.
- Support Manufacturing Business Plan opportunities.
- Complies with environmental standards, assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, and supports VMVO and WCM initiatives.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management.
What do you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in chemical engineering, chemistry, or similar discipline; or five (5) years of equivalent training and experience to have comprehensive knowledge of the practices, procedures and regulations associated with process control technology may be substituted for a degree.
- Three to five (3-5) years of applied professional experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of project management and project engineering fundamentals.
- Understanding of product formulation, glass chemistry, water and additive chemistry.
- Working knowledge of advanced statistical tools used to reduce variations.
- Flexible, open-minded team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving capabilities to work effectively in corporate, manufacturing and team environments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in manufacturing process.
- Experience leading focused improvement (FI) or Kaizen projects.
- Understanding of mass & energy balance, flow diagrams, Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), fluid properties and thermodynamics.
Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes. Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, and weekend and holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
Must be able to spend a significant amount of time on plant floor. Job includes tasks that require walking, bending, twisting, gripping, stair and ladder climbing, entering confined spaces, navigating rough terrain and occasional lifting of up to 75 lbs. Job may require long periods of sitting, walking, standing, working on a computer or engaging in telephone conversation. Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government and company safety standards whenever engineered methods of reducing hazards or physical requirements cannot be reasonably accommodated.
Who are we ?
Here’s what we do…
Since 1975, Decoustics has excelled in the custom-engineering and manufacturing of acoustical ceiling panel and wall systems. Custom-engineered ceilings showpieces in metal, felt, fiberglass, and wood. Backed by a team of collaborative professionals, CertainTeed Architectural Products provides expertise in acoustics, engineering, and innovation.
CertainTeed is a subsidiary of Saint-Gobain -- the world’s largest building materials company with a 350-year legacy of innovation and growth. Saint-Gobain group is leader in sustainable product development and environmental stewardship. We’re proud to that Saint-Gobain North America was recognized by Top Employers institute as on the best workplaces in North America & Canada.
For 113 years, CertainTeed has been synonymous with quality, trust, innovation, and service. Our team designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions in the construction and building materials market. CertainTeed’s broad product offering includes insulation, ceilings, roofing, siding, fence, railing, deck, exterior trim and gypsum board products. We provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change. Our offerings incorporate and promote the wellbeing for each of us and we are building a future where we collectively work together towards our core purpose to Make the World a Better Home.
Saint-Gobain is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process to applicants upon their request. This commitment is in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
What we offer…
We provide unique options to fit your unique lives! Our Total Rewards Program is customizable to accommodate your needs. Our menu of flexible options includes, but is not limited to:
- Besides a great work culture where we work hard, while trying to have fun with various events, regular companywide activities geared towards our employees and a strong safety culture we also offer the following:
- Excellent healthcare benefits package
- Family Focus & Balance: Parental leave, paid time-off and Employee Assistance Program
- Financial Security: Competitive RRSP , Company-funded DPSP (Deferred Profit Sharing Plan) and Employee Stock Purchase Program (PEG)
- Volunteer Day off: Give back to the community – each employee has one paid day a year that they can use towards volunteering their time and effort with a registered charity
- And more perks!
Why work for us?
- At Saint-Gobain, our employees have pride in belonging to an organization whose culture is made up of these core values: Trust, Empowerment, & Collaboration. Our company encourages diversity and inclusion in all its forms while our products make the world a more beautiful, safer, and sustainable home.
- LiveWell: Rewarding you for living a healthy lifestyle
- To learn more about us visit: https://www.certainteed.ca/ceilings-and-walls/
We look forward to hearing from everyone but please note that due to the volume of resumes submitted, only those selected for next steps will be contacted. To stay in touch with CertainTeed, follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram